2017 Photo Contest
If you've got an eye for capturing great moments in a photo this contest is for you. Entries are now being accepted for the 2017 Ontario Sheep photo contest.
We're looking for photographs of what sheep farms look like, sheep farmers, and their flocks. And it's open to everyone. You do not have to be a member of Ontario sheep to be eligible to enter.
Winners of the contest will be announced in early November, after the Ontario Sheep Convention.
- Farm scenes - capture the beauty of the scenery on the farm.
- Farm faces - who takes care of the sheep. Photos must contain at least on person with sheep.
- Show me your sheep - photo must contain at least 20 sheep.
**All photos submitted must be at least 200 dpi and a minimum of 1MB in file size.**
A $100 cash prize will be awarded to the top photos in each of the three categories. An overall grand prize award of $250 is also available. All photo entries will be eligible to win the fan favourite cash prize of $100. Entries will be voted on by attendees of the Ontario Sheep Convention in October 2017.
To submit your photo
Send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org with 2017 photo contest in the subject line. The deadline for submitting photos is October 13, 2017.
Entries should include:
- the title of the photo (optional)
- mailing address, phone number, and email address
- name of the photographer if different than the person submitting the photo
- category you are submitting the photo for
For full contest rules click here.
Ontario Sheep offers two awards annually to recognize outstanding sheep producers. Nomination criteria and formas are available below.
Outstanding Shepherd Award
Awarded to an Ontario shepherd who has made significant contributions to the advancement of the Ontario sheep industry. This award is presented to an Ontario shepherd who exemplifies the values of leadership and responsible sheep husbandry.
Outstanding Shepherd Award nomination form
Deadline for submission: September 29, 2017
Long Service Award
Awarded in acknowledgement and appreciation of long standing contributions to the Ontario sheep industry, recipients of this award have demonstrated outstanding dedication, leadership, and an innovative spirit. This award is presented to an Ontario shepherd who is recognized for their significant contributions to the advancement of the Ontario sheep industry over many years of service.
Long Service Award nomination form
Deadline for submission: September 29, 2017
OSMA undergraduate scholarship
Value of the Award:
Number of awards:
September 8, 2017
Submit your application via email to email@example.com.
1) Applicants must be one of the following:
- a registered sheep producer with OSMA as of April 30, 2017;
- have a parent/guardian registered as a sheep producer with OSMA as of April 30, 2017;
- a member of a 4-H Ontario sheep club.
2) Applicants must be 21 years of age or younger.
3) Applicants must be enrolled in their first or second year at an accredited university, college or apprenticeship program. Applicants do not have to be enrolled in an agriculture program to be eligible for the award.
Complete application to include:
1) a completed application form (available here
2) an article of at least 500 words on one of the topics below. The article may include pictures, diagrams, and/or charts. Article submissions will be evaluated on content, spelling and grammar. Submitted articles may be published in a future issue of the Ontario Sheep News magazine.
1. What strategy or strategies do you think the sheep industry should employ to address public trust?
2. If you were going to produce sheep, what management style (ie pasture, confinement, mixed etc.) would you choose and why?
3. Give a detailed description of a biosecurity set up and explain why this is important to the individual producer and to the industry as a whole.
4. What do you feel is the sheep industry’s greatest weakness and therefore our greatest challenge and how would you change that if you could?
2017 Pasture Award
OSMA is pleased to partner with MAPLESEED and the Ontario Forage Council to sponsor the 2017 MAPLESEED Pasture Award.
This award recognizes an individual sheep producer who is doing an outstanding job of pasture management. The MAPLESEED Pasture Award is also a way of encouraging producers to implement pasture management strategies that maximize forage production per acre.
MAPLESEED contributes a cash award of $500 to the winner, a 25kg bag of the winner’s choice of a MAPLESEED forage mix, and provides overnight accommodations to attend the Ontario Lamb Banquet. The award is presented at the Ontario Lamb Banquet, which takes place on October 26, 2017.
The deadline for submitting your application for the 2017 award is September 29, 2017
to access the 2017 Pasture Award application form.